The Perfect Dress for Family Photos
Figuring out what to wear for family photos is almost as challenging as keeping the kids clean and hubby happy. You want to look your best and coordinating outfits can be quite the daunting task. But, it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. By choosing the perfect dress for yourself, everything else will come together much more easily.
It was the day before family pictures and I was laying outfits on the ground, rummaging through drawers to find the perfect combinations. My sister-in-law was texting me with her combos so that we could make sure none of us would clash. I’d spent hours figuring out the rest of the family, but here I was, staring at my closet full of clothes with nothing to wear myself.
What is Mom Wearing?!
Have you ever found yourself in the same dilemma I was? I’ve since learned that they key to making sure you love your pictures is to love your outfit. After all is said and done, you’re not going to be nearly as critical of everyone else in the picture as you will be of yourself. It’s too easy to pick apart our hair, our pose, our makeup, our weight… really everything about us. It shouldn’t be that way, but it often is. Why not give yourself an upper hand and start with something that makes you look and feel good?
As moms, we often put our needs behind the needs of everybody else. It’s in our nature. However, by choosing what you are going to wear first, you can work all the other outfits around yours, ensuring that everything coordinates AND that you’ll feel beautiful and confident. Put yourself first, for once, and you’re sure to end up with pictures you will be proud to hang on your wall.
Five Perfect Dresses to Make You Look Good
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.
I absolutely love mixing semi-formal and informal clothing in family pictures. A good mix of button ups, pull overs, khakis, dresses, and jeans adds interest. Having mom in a dress helps hide some of the typically less favored features (hello tummy pouch and thicker thighs), and brings out her natural femininity. Here are a few of my favorite options:
The Amelia is a gorgeous creamy yellow that would look great in fall, spring, or even summer pictures. This dress flows in all the right places and is sure to have you sneaking in a twirl or two. The subtle pattern and pretty ruffles add the perfect amount of texture to make those photos pop.
You were Born to Fashion in this dress! Cute for spring or summer, this dress was family photos. Pair it with a cute necklace and denim jacket for some great layers, and you’ll be turning heads everywhere you go.
Make a statement in this pretty Button-Up Split Front Maxi Dress. From the darling pattern to the sassy tassel ties, this dress is the perfect pick for your next photo shoot. If the floral isn’t quite your style, no worries, you can get this in 23 other colors and patterns!
How cute is this V-Neck Midi Skater Dress?! Answer: ridiculously! I’m a firm believer that every woman needs this in her closet, pictures or not. It comes in seven different colors and has pockets!!! What more do you need?!
If you’re looking for something a little more formal, this pretty little number will do the trick! The stunning lace overlay adds a touch of romance while the bell sleeves bring a little drama (and helps your arms look slimmer). It’s the perfect combination! Even better, this would look darling on a baby bump for maternity shoots.
Looking for something dressy that’s not actually a dress? Then you’re in luck! The For The Rust of Us Jumpsuit is the perfect combination of dressy and casual. It’s gorgeous color and darling functional buttons make this a family photo must have.
Common Questions/FAQ About Choosing Family Picture Outfits
- What colors should I choose for our outfits?
- Add interest to your photos by choosing coordinating colors rather than matching colors.
- Play off of the colors in mom’s outfit (if she’s not in a solid) to help tie everything together.
- Go with what you love! Look around your home. Do you gravitate towards muted tones or vibrant hues? Choose colors that would work well with your home decor. Your walls will look as fashionable as you do.
- Avoid all white or all black clothing, it makes proper lighting much more difficult.
- How do I work in patterns?
- Patterns are a great way to pull in lots of different color and interest, but you definitely don’t want to over do it.
- Having one or two people in patterns adds interest without going overboard.
- Having one outfit that pulls all the colors together will help everything look cohesive.
- What else should I consider when putting outfits together?
- Add in some layers with jackets, vests, ties, and necklaces (probably not all at once though).
- Create visual interest with some texture! Mix and match lace, metals, denim, leather, knits, wool. Cotton is great, but too much of it will lend to a boring picture.
- What about my makeup?!
- Check out the ultimate makeup tips for moms here.
- Remember, pictures wash you out, so go darker and more dramatic than you usually do so that your makeup shows up in the picture.
The Last Thing You Need to Know about Picking the Perfect Dress
Let’s be honest, ladies, if you don’t love the way you look in the picture, you’re not going to put that up in your house or on your Facebook feed for all to see. Show of your darling family by taking care of your self first. When you love your outfit, it shows in your face, and you’ll have an easier time taking pictures you’ll love. Pick the perfect dress that makes you feel good and compliments your best features. All the other outfits can work around you. You are the heart of the family, let it show.
What is your go to look for family pictures? Do you prefer to wear dresses or pants? Let me know in the comments!